Friday, September 2, 2011

For every girl, a garter

In the last few weeks I have been busy busy with custom orders.  And I am not complaining! Okay, I'm complaining a little, but only because my sweet clients are claiming their one-of-a-kind garters as fast as I can list them in my shop so you guys don't really get a chance to see them.

Of course, the ladies I work with have exquisite taste and I've had a lot of fun designing for them. You, my lovelies, just have to see what been flying out of the Never a Plain Jane design studio.

Remember these fab vintage buttons with their adorable anchors? Well, that post was up less than 24 hours before a sailor's wife told me to "get 'em." She wanted a garter for a boudoir shoot she's doing - a gift to her deployed husband.  I was more than happy to oblige.

Knotted rope heart and vintage button detail on "The Sailor's Wife" by Never a Plain Jane Designs

"The Sailor's Wife," a unique, custom garter from Never a Plain Jane Designs

Then there's Jenn. After 30-something years her mother is getting the big wedding she never had. Jenn asked me to help her design a garter duo as her special gift to her mom. She described a woman who appreciates pattern, color, primitives, quirky jewelry, vintage, and handmade.  The only request was that I include peacock feathers. This weekend there will be a happy bride will be wearing this thoughtful gift from her loving daughter:

"Pretty as a..." keepsake garter by Never a Plain Jane Designs
"Pretty as a..." toss garter by Never a Plain Jane Designs

This must be the weekend for weddings because I had just finished Jenn's giftable duo when I received my first rush order - less than two weeks to go before this bride said I do! I work well under pressure, though, and there was no way I could refuse when I saw her dress.

Mina Gown, interpretation of gown from Bram Stokers Dracula by Romantic Threads, Photo by Le Mew Photography

Cristina has designed a Victorian/Edwardian-influenced steampunk wedding.   Don't you wish you were going? She asked for a garter duo  that incorporated vintage buttons and plenty of drama.  She also gave me permission to "bring on the feathers." In my vast button collection I found these brass beauties that reminded me of boot buttons.  For the keepsake garter I looped the biot feathers so they mimicked the scalloped lace often used to trim Victorian garmets.


"Mina" garter duo by Never a Plain Jane Designs

Vintage brass button and feather detail on the "Mina" keepsake garter by Never a Plain Jane Designs

I love my job!

1 comment:

Erratt Family said...

They all look great! Love the looped feather detail on the last one!I also love the layered multi-colored flower in the second set. Fantastic work!