Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Never a Plain Jane had a very big day

For the past 24 hours I have been taking deep, calming breaths because yesterday I did something huge! I put my first garter up for sale. I am still not sure if I am ready for this, but it had to be done.  I have spent months designing garters, asking business advice, reading, gathering critiques on prototypes, sewing, perfecting my shop layout, reading, writing policies and mission statements, developing long term plans, scouring blogs for inspiration, and some more reading. And sewing. There's a slight possibility some of the above activities could be called procrastinating. Hey, starting a business is scary stuff.

But yesterday morning  I read a little piece about American Craft Week (October 1 through 10) and I joined the Etsy Success Holiday Boot Camp where I took the following pledge:
I, Janice, pledge to participate in the Etsy Success Holiday Boot Camp to the best of my abilities. I vow to check in every week, do my homework and support my fellow Holiday Boot Campers. I will read the weekly newsletters and blog posts, check in on the weekly forum thread, read the weekly blog post, check off the checklists and salute the mascot. I promise to share what I've learned with those who need it, support my fellow Etsy indiepreneurs and, most of all, have a positive and persistent attitude. I understand that together we can spread the word about our handmade and vintage goods, making this holiday season a more unique and meaningful one to gift givers and give-ees everywhere!
And then, I put this baby on the market:
Toffee Apple Blossom
And then... I.  Freaked.  Out.

Because, Internet, what if all my dreams come true?  What if Never a Plain Jane Designs is a complete and total success? Needless to say (but I'm going to say it) I scared the peewaddle out of myself.

And I think I'll do it again today.

2 comments:

Daniellexo said...

So glad you are getting started! Here's a blog post to get you motivated:
http://www.craftmba.com/2010/09/07/decision-making-as-a-form-of-procrastination/

Never A Plain Jane said...

@Daniellexo
Thank you! I am also a fan of CraftMBA and was *just* thinking I needed to reread that very piece!