Friday, October 26, 2012

Scrappy Hangers

I don't know about you, but I tend to bungle at least one part of every project I take on. I know - big surprise.

Click on the image to see it on obstacol.

At least I've learned from these mistakes:
Always. Buy. Extra.
Of course, I don't always need all the extra I've bought, and when it comes to sewing that can leave me with a lot of leftover scrap fabric. But - another shocker, I'm sure - I have an incredibly hard time throwing away scraps.  What if something needs to be patched? Or I need to stuff a pouf? Or intergalactic war is imminent unless we can offer a patchwork quilt several acres square? What if?

Never have I claimed to be logical.

On the other hand, scraps piled up in my studio are pretty much going to waste, which is also unacceptable. Use them I must. I don't quilt (yet) so that's out. Nor do I make rag rugs (yet). I do, however, pin, and I just happened to have the perfect pinspiration for scrap-busting:

mondocherry via Pinterest. Click on image for details.

Except...I have no bangles to cover. Oh I know! I'll cover hangers!



Clare's tutorial pretty much tells the whole story, but for giggles, I'll walk you through my bangle-wrap-to-hanger-wrap process.

Begin with a big o' pile of fabric (or ribbon) scraps. I used a single fabric, but I think it'd be equally cute if you want to combine snippets from coordinating fabrics or even go wild with any and every scrap type you have on hand.


I'd recommend pressing your scrap fabric, but I doubt skipping the iron would kill the final product. After pressing (or not) cut your fabric into strips. I started with a width of 2.5 inches, but decided I liked the final look of using 1.5 inch wide strips.


Next, I combined all my strips into one really long strip. When making bias tape, binding, or anything else that requires a long, thin piece of fabric, I use the method Ashley talks about on Make It and Love It. To summarize:

Place

Sew

 Unfold

Voila

 I repeated the place, sew, unfold process until I had seven yards of 1.5-inch fabric.

Then, I introduced - cue the music - the hanger. I chose one of those thick plastic jobbies because that's what was on hand Clare's tutorial used a wide bangle so I had an idea of how the knotted fabric would loo in the end. If you use a wire hanger feel free to let me know how it turned out.


Step One: tie a know at the base of the hook leaving a tail at least 12 inches long.

12 inches of fabric to the left of the know, 6.66 yards to the right of the knot.

The 12-inch tail will allow you to tie the finishing bow.

Step Two: Actually, step two is probably best told in photos.

Take the long end behind the hanger.
Pass it through the center of the hanger and under the fabric loop.
Pull the long end until you have a knot.
Repeat all the way around the hanger making sure to keep the row of knots on the outside.
 
Step Three: When you get back to your original knot you should have enough fabric left to tie both tails into a sweet little bow around the base of the hook.


Confession: When I was done I had enough fabric leftover to wrap the hook as well.  I secured one end to the hanger with hot glue, then simply wrapped the fabric strip around the hook and secured the second end with more hot glue.


Thanks to bad lighting, I can't show you what they look like hanging in a row in Emily's closet.  You'll just have to trust me when I say they look just adorable.


Is it just me or would these make the perfect gift for just about anyone?


Yeah, I thought you'd agree.

No comments: